http://havingfun.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/whole-hog.jpg 194 259 David Fionda http://havingfun.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/havingfun-logo-300x95.png David Fionda2018-05-31 13:41:312018-10-20 13:05:12Roast Whole Hog
Courtesy of Scotty at Blue Ribbon
Roast Whole Hog
- 1 Whole Hog 90 - 100 pounds
- Hardwood Charcoal and Red and White Oak Chips
- For the Injection
- 4 Cups Apple Juice
- 2 cups White Sugar
- 1 cup Salt
- 3 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- Mix all of the injection ingredients together. Inject the legs, picnic, shoulders and shanks liberally
- Let sit refrigerated overnight
- Build a fire until it comes to embers.
- Bank the coals on each side of the hog
- Place a drip pan in the middle
- Have a charcoal chimney ready and keep starting new coals and feed the fire very slowly. Low and slow
- Cook for 7 - 8 hours.
- Wrap head halfway in foil.
- If the pig stars to get too brown, wrap it in foils as well
- Check the shoulders for doneness.
- They will initially be soft then stiffen up.
- When the meat loosens up (180degree) and pulls easily, it is done