2 lemons cut into halves
2 green bell peppers
1/2 cup of chopped celery
1 small red onion chopped into fine strips or rings
4 plum tomatoes cut into quarters
2 tablespoons of oil
1/4 cup of seedless olives cut into halves(optional)
2 tablespoons of tomato paste o 1 cup of tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon of mashed garlic
1 teaspoon of sugar
A pinch of oregano
A small bunch of fresh coriander leaves
- Wash the chicken with warm water and scrub with the lemon getting lemon juice into all the crevices.
- Cut the chicken in small pieces.
- In a bowl mix the chicken, oregano, onion, celery, tomatoes, a pinch of salt and garlic. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a pot heat the oil over medium heat, add the sugar and wait until the sugar browns.
- Add the chicken (reserve vegetables and herbs) and sauté until the meat is light brown.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes adding water by the tablespoons when necessary.
- Add onion, celery, tomatoes, olives, a pinch of salt and garlic, cover and and simmer until the vegetables are tender, adjust water if necessary.
- Add the tomato paste and half a cup of water, simmer over low heat to produce a light sauce.
- Add the fresh cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.