David Fionda http://havingfun.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/havingfun-logo-300x95.png David Fionda2014-02-22 21:10:412014-02-22 21:10:41Rice and Peas
- 3 cups of brown rice
- 1 can of Goya kidney beans
- 5 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 uncut scotch bonnet pepper (1 jalapeno pepper may be used as a substitute)
- 3 Scallions
- 1 can Trader Joe’s coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme (2 teaspoons of dried thyme may be used as a substitute)
- In a deep saucepan, bring 6 cups of water to boil
- Crush the garlic and add to water
- Add your coconut milk, rice, salt, black pepper and thyme to the mix.
- Crush the scallion (do not chop) and add this.
- Add the uncut scotch bonnet pepper, nb – the pepper remains uncut so as to not make the rice spicy, just give it a subtle peppery flavor.
- Stir occasionally. If needed, add more boiling water.
- Rice and Peas should be ready after about 40 minutes (exact cooking time will depend on the brand of rice used).