Braised Beef Short RibsCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 pounds bone-in short ribs, at least 1 1/2 inches thick
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large heads garlic, halved crosswise
1 medium onion , chopped
4 ribs celery , chopped
2 medium carrots , chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup red wine vinegar plus 1 cup water
2 cups beef stock
4 sprigs thyme
1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped
½ cup finely chopped chives
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- Heat oven to 275 degrees. Short ribs cook best when it is low and slow
- After seasoning with salt and pepper, working in batches, sear the short ribs on all sides over medium high heat until deeply browned. The sear helps lock in the flavor during the braising process.
- In the same dutch over, cook the garlic over medium heat until golden. Add the celery, onions and carrots ( called the mirepoix or italian soffrito) until the vegetables are softened. Add the tomato paste and coat all vegetables and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red win vinegar and water. You can also use red wine. I like to make my dishes alcohol free.
- Add the beef stock, thyme and stir and return the ribs ( bone side up) to the dutch oven. Bring to a simmer and place in the preheated oven.
- Cook, until short ribs are tender and falling off the bone, 3½ to 4 hours.
- Serve with a scoop of the broth that has had the fat poured off and dust with parsely, chives and lemon zest over the top.
- Adapted from NY Times recipe