Skip to content
Jump to recipe
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 Chicken Thighs ( 4lbs)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 fresh mint sprigs
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Garnishes: fresh chopped mint, 1/2 cup
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken, turning to coat.
- Heat oil and butter in a tagine or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown. (Cook in batches, if necessary.) Transfer to a plate.
- Using a separator, pour off the excess fat
- Add garlic to pan, and sauté about 1 minute.
- Add the onions and saute until soft, 5 minutes
- Add mint, thyme, broth, chicken, and any juices that drained onto plate. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove cover and simmer 1 hour to reduce sauce
- Bring onion and next 3 ingredients to a simmer in a separate saucepan over low heat; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until lemon becomes soft and liquid thickens. Discard herb sprigs; pour glaze over chicken, and garnish, if desired.