Skip to content
Jump to recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lb. hot Italian sausage, casings removed see notes for substitutions
- 2 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups Sweet potatoes diced
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- pinch -teaspoon red pepper flakes optional for spicy
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 14.75 oz. cans cream style corn
- 2 30 oz bags fresh, frozen (not thawed) or canned
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tsp EACH dried oregano, dried thyme, salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups half and half
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a large soup pot/Dutch oven over medium heat-high. Add sausage, onion, carrots and celery and cook until sausage is cooked through and onions are tender.
- Add potatoes, garlic, red pepper (if using) and sauté 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook an additional 1 minute while stirring (it will be thick).
- Stir in creamed corn, corn, chicken bouillon, bay leaves and all seasonings. Whisk cornstarch with 1 cup of chicken broth and stir in. Add remaining chicken broth.
- Cover and bring to a boil then uncover and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 45-75 minutes on low stirring constantly so the bottom doesn’t burn until the chowder thickens.
- Stir in half and half and heat through.
- Discard bay leaves and let cool.