* 2 large onions, chopped
* 1 green and 1 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and chopped
* 2 tablespoons minced (3 large cloves) garlic
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup chili powder, or to taste
* 3 seeded jalapenos, diced
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1 tablespoon dried oregano
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste (recommend getting tube)
* 3 pounds boneless sirloin
* 1/2 cup flour
* 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, including liquid
* 1 to 1 1/2 cups beef broth
* 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
* 1-ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
* 1 (19-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
* Rice, as an accompaniment
* Toppings: Tortilla chips; sour cream; grated cheddar; chopped red onions; chopped jalapenos; diced avocado; minced cilantro; etc.
In a dutch oven cook the onions, peppers and garlic in the oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
Season the sirloin with kosher salt and pepper. Combine the flour, sea salt and pepper and the coat he sirloin liberally. Add to the dutch oven combine with vegetables and remove half. Brown beef and then add 6oz beer to braise the meat. heat until it forms a paste. Remove the mixture and repeat with other half.
Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of the broth, the vinegar and chocolate and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove whole tomatoes and pass through a strainer back into the chili.
Simmer the chili, covered, for 1 hour. Add the kidney beans and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and serve with rice and desired toppings.