2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 bag Trader Joes brown rice
1 cups low-sodium chicken broth (see note)
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
½ cup frozen peas, defrosted
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and jalapeño and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the tomato paste, garlic and defrosted brown rice; cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin; turn the heat up and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peas, cilantro and lime juice and fluff the rice with a fork to mix. Let the rice sit for a few moments to “dry out” and lose that wet, just-steamed texture. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and lime if necessary.