Skip to content
Jump to recipe
- 2 pounds cubed and trimmed chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- Celery leaves, for garnish
- STEW: Combine flour, salt and pepper on a plate and dredge beef pieces.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven and brown beef evenly in batches. Pour off excess drippings.
- Combine the paprika, coriander, turmeric, cumin, ginger and cayenne and sprinkle over beef. Add the celery, onion, carrot, garlic and beef broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours. Alternately, combine the ingredients in an electric pressure cooker and cook on high for 22 minutes.
- Add the apricots and tomatoes and cook an additional 15 minutes on the stovetop or 1 more minute on high in the pressure cooker.
- Garnish with celery sprigs