Authentic Balkan food. Ćevapi has been part of the traditional diet in Balkans for several hundred years.
Ćevapi is made with two simple ingredients: spices and meat.
- 600 g finely minced beef (1.3 pounds)
- 300g finely minced lamb (or pork mince if you prefer) (10 oz)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
To Serve With
- Chopped raw onions
- In a large bowl, combine beef, lamb, and salt (plus other spices if you so desire)
- Knead the mixture with clean hands for 5 minutes
- Cover the meat with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
- Uncover the meat and stir in minced garlic and black pepper
- Shape the mixture into small logs no longer or wider than an index finger – it is best to do this with wet hands, so the meat does not stick to you. Keep wetting your hands after each few that you roll
- Preheat your grill. Ideally, you should use a charcoal grill
- Brush the grill with some olive oil
- Grill the minced fingers on a medium heat until evenly grilled and browned on all sides
- Serve warm with Turkish flatbread and freshly chopped onion (and ajvar if you have it!)
Best served with ajvar.