Split Pea Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
1 1/4 cups chopped celery
1 tsp minced garlic
4 cups unsalted chicken broth
4 cups water
1 (16 oz) bag dried split peas
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp dried
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 lb meaty ham bone or ham shanks
1 cup chopped carrots
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour in chicken broth and water. Add split peas, bay leaves and thyme. Season lightly with salt and with pepper to taste
- Nestle ham bone into soup mixture. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to low. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally until peas and ham are tender, about 60 – 80 minutes.
- Remove ham from soup, let rest 10 minutes then shred or dice meat portion into pieces, cover.
- Add carrots to soup and simmer 30 more minutes. Serve