Turkey Pot Pie with Cornbread ToppingCourse: MainCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
⅓ cup butter
1 onion diced
⅓ cup flour
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
¼ teaspoon thyme
1 cup chicken broth
⅔ cup milk or cream
1 sweet potato diced and cooked
1 ½ cups frozen vegetables defrosted
2 cups leftover turkey cubed
- Cornbread Crust
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
¾ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups whole milk
1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, add the melted butter stir together until just mixed. Let the cornbread topping rest.
- For the pot pie filling, cook onion in butter over medium low heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour, poultry seasoning, thyme, salt & pepper. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Whisk in chicken broth and milk a little bit at a time stirring after each addition until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, simmer 2 -3 minutes to cook out the flour taste.
- Stir in the diced turkey and vegetables
- Grease a large glass pie pan with butter and lightly dust with flour
- Pour in filling and pat down until even
- Pour in cornbread topping
- Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean and cornbread topping is done.